The IGI Corporate Bereavement Buddy certification program is a 6-module curriculum designed to train individual staff to provide peer mentoring and monitoring of a bereaved employee when he or she returns to work. Based upon national Critical Incident Stress Management elements, the curriculum covers psychological crisis and grief-associated stress, common psychological and behavioral reactions, and strategies to mitigate triggering and unsafe situations in the workplace. Each 90-minute module is followed by an online exam to test and ensure understanding and competency as a certified Corporate Bereavement Buddy.
Students will learn to:
- Understand the core components of grief
- Support the bereaved employee as they transition back to work
- Monitor and mitigate triggers, warning signs, and potentially unsafe situations related to grief before they escalate
- Understand signs and symptoms of cognitive, emotional, behavioral, physical and spiritual distress and how they relate to dysfunction in the workplace
- Use key crisis communication tools
HOW TO EARN CERTIFICATION:
Individuals seeking to earn professional certification as a Corporate Bereavement Buddy must:
- Submit the enrollment form
- Complete all 6 modules within six months
- Earn 80% or better on each competency exam
Successful graduates will be certified as a Corporate Bereavement Buddy through the International Grief Institute.